Culturally Competent Care for African Americans
Based on the readings, viewing on the Module 5: Lecture Materials & Resources page, and your own experience, what strategies would you recommend encouraging culturally competent care of African Americans?
- Your initial post should be at least 500 words, formatted and cited in current APA style with support from at least 2 academic sources.
African American, Hispanic, and Latino Populations’ Health Beliefs & Practices
Read and watch the lecture resources & materials below early in the week to help you respond to the discussion questions and to complete your assignment(s).
(Note: The citations below are provided for your research convenience. Students should always cross reference the current APA guide for correct styling of citations and references in their academic work.)
Ritter, L.A., Graham, D.H. (2017). Multicultural Health (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
Chapters 7 and 9
Online Materials & Resources
- Visit the CINAHL Complete under the A-to-Z Databases on the University Library’s website, locate and read the article(s) below:
- Abbott, L. S. (2015). Evaluation of nursing interventions designed to impact knowledge, behaviors, and health Outcomes for rural African-Americans: An integrative review. Public Health Nursing, 32(5), 408-420. doi:10.1111/phn.12174
- Price, M., Williamson, D., McCandless, R., Mueller, M., Gregoski, M., Brunner-Jackson, B, et al. (2013). Hispanic migrant farm workers’ attitudes toward mobile phone-based telehealth for management of chronic health conditions. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15(4), e76. http://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2500 (Links to an external site.)
- Watch the YouTube videos below:
- LarryStephenRobb. (2011, November 16). African Americans’ Distrust in the Health Care System: Past and Present [Video file]. Retrieved fromAfrican Americans’ Distrust in the Health Care System: Past and Present (Links to an external site.)
- Mpuentes05. (2013, December 5). Health Disparities in African American populations [Video file]. Retrieved fromHealth Disparities in African American populations (Links to an external site.)
- TEDx Talks. (2014, February 28). Tackling ethnic health disparities: Lisa Cooper at TEDxBaltimore 2014 [Video file]. Retrieved fromTackling ethnic health disparities: Lisa Cooper at TEDxBaltimore 2014 (Links to an external site.)
- Sahar Consulting, LLC. (2013, June 27). Barriers to Healthcare for Latino/ Hispanic patients[Video file]. Retrieved fromBarriers to Healthcare for Latino/ Hispanic patients (Links to an external site.)
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."